Having kidney stone at ureter-bladder junction and fainted twice. One kidney is infected.Taking Buscopan and urimax. Is ureterorenoscopy necessary?

I have kidney stone 8mm at ureter-bladder junction (entry to bladder) and yesterday night i fainted for two minutes. My Doctor suggest URS. He says one kidney is slightly infected. Kindly advise wether I must have URS or any medication can cure? As such I am not experiencing pain. I am taking Buscopan, urimax 0.4mg, oson-o tablets
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello sir.

A ureterorenoscopy (URS) is a very effective procedure, especially as your stone is of near moderate size. A URS procedure has also shown significanlty good results in lithotripsy (breaking of stones) of stones present in the distal ureter (which is the location of your stone).

I would also like to emphasize on the fact that your doctor has suggested the possibility of an infection of one kidney caused due to the stone; in such a scenario urgent management would be required, which can be provided only by a URS procedure, making it ideal in your case.

Medication may or may not help, and even if they do, it will be time consuming and not provide complete relief. This is why I would also recommend the URS procedure sir.

Hope this information helps you. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.