Having kidney pain, loss of appetite and feeling tired. Blood test done. Any thoughts?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Hi I have been having really bad pain in my left kidney on and off for about 2 months. I am very tired and I don't have much of an appetite, plus I am losing weight what can be my problem? I have had a blood test and was told my kidneys are not functioning 100% but Ive only got the pain in one kidney.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in Lt Kidney with loss of appetite since last two months.
Considering your age and other systemic diseases that you have, you need to undergo detail evaluation to diagnose your problem. Following investigation would help to conclude
And to reach towards diagnosis
1) Routine Urine Examination.
2) Haemogram.
3) Renal function tests to know the status of kidney function.
4) Ultrasound study of the Kidney,Ureter ,Bladder as a preliminary screening test to rule out presence of stone in the kidney..
5) C.T Scan with I.V Contrast of the Kidney Ureter and Bladder to rule out any mass lesion in kidney or urinary system.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and advice regarding further management.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Having kidney pain, loss of appetite and feeling tired. Blood test done. Any thoughts? 19 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I did however forgot to include that about 10 weeks ago I was hit on the left in the kidney region by a boat. I was in the water when a wave turn the boat towards me and it knocked my under water. I didn't feel anypain on that day or the following few days. Do you think this maybe contributing to the ill effects I am feeling now?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query. Though you had history of u\injury to your kidney area 10 months back, it is most unlikely to give pain now. The symptoms of any renal injury are passing blood in the urine and pain immediately after trauma.
Please get investigations done which I have mentioned earlier and post the results to me. I will try my best to comment on it.
Hope I have answered your query.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil...