Having kidney pain. Follicular and large cell B lymphoma treated. Urgent consultation necessary?

Question
Follicular and large cell B lymphoma stage 1 treated with chemo 3 yrs ago. Remission with normal blood work and scans. Atypical pyelonephritis 1 yr ago. Kidney pain, malaise, respomded to CiproUrgent consultation necessary?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 10 hours later
Hi XXXX! Thank you for getting back to me. I am glad that you feel better and the pain has improved.

I still advise that you see a general physician at least so that the appropriate antibiotics can be prescribed if tests deemed that you do have infections again - both on your tonsils and the left kidney. It is possible that you only have tonsilitis and a left kidney stone but an infection almost always comes with kidney stones because these change or obstruct urine flow.

I have to emphasize that you have to take care of kidney infections - I have had some patients who just ignored their symptoms of pyelonephritis and ended up in chronic renal failure requiring dialysis at least 4 times a month. I don't want you to reach that stage as it is very costly, riddled with a lot of possible complications, and, most of all, irreversible.

In the meantime, continue with your good personal hygiene, drink lots of fluids (fresh ginger tea really helps a lot with the pain of the sore throat - it stings at the first cup but improves afterwards), try and eat a balanced diet.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

I wish you the best of health!

Dr. Galera

Follow-up: Having kidney pain. Follicular and large cell B lymphoma treated. Urgent consultation necessary? 9 hours later
Dear Dr Galera,
Many thanks for your help and attention. I followed your advice and managed to see a replacement doctor today. Diagnosis of pyelonephritis and 14 days antibiotics. We both think that the tonsillitis is due to my general diminished health caused by the UTI. As this is the second pyelonephritis in 9 months with no dysuria or frequency, but a very dirty dipstick test, my own personal opinion is that the chemo has caused an insensibility of the urinary tract which means I dont feel the cystitis symptoms before they ascend (I am a nurse with 30 years experience). Thank you once again. I will give you positive feedback. Yours, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 18 minutes later
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for the update and I am really, really glad that you saw a GP today and that you are now receiving the appropriate antibiotics.

Yes, it is quite possible that this is an unfortunate consequence of chemo. Practicing good hygiene and drinking plenty of fluids are very important to you now. When your GP/Oncologist comes back, ask if you need to take some prophylaxis antibiotics once in a while so that you can clear any developing infections early.

Thank you also for a very touching feedback, I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

I wish you all the best! You know how to reach me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Dr Galera

Follow-up: Having kidney pain. Follicular and large cell B lymphoma treated. Urgent consultation necessary? 13 hours later
Thanks a lot! Once again I will follow your advice.

Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 minute later
You are very much welcome!

Best,

Dr. Galera