Having joint pain, loss of muscle and fatigue. Blood tests showed hypersegmented neutrophil and High Ferritin level of 198. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I've had numerous blood tests but nobody seems to find a cause for my joint pain and loss of muscle and fatigue. Blood film shows occasional hypersegmented neutrophil. Activated monocytes, reactive lymphocytes one form very basophilic cytoplasm and vacuolation. Platelet anisocytosis with some large forms. B12 and Folic acid ok. High Ferritin level of 198
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the joints and the loss of muscle mass that you have is not likely to be due to the minor variations in the blood film that you have. All these findings are not suggestive of any serious disorder.
The symptoms that you have could be related to
1. Generalized viral illness.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance.
5. Hormonal disbalance like hypothyroidism.
6. Anxiety neurosis.
7. Vitamin D3 deficiency.

All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the other lifestyle options which you can follow:

1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced will be helpful.

2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.