Having joint pain in fingers, wrist, elbow and shoulder. Father has Gout. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got pain in my joints in my thumb in one hand and my middle finger on the other. Been like this for over a week. I struggle to bend them in fully. Whist fishing a good 12 days ago I did get a spike from a black bream fish which I've had before which gives some pain for a couple days but always goes away. Thought maybe it was this but if still got pain and now it's in my wrist and elbow and shoulder and side of neck. Lifting a cup of coffee can be a challenge. Doesn't stop me working and the more I use my arm the better it gets but in the morning it's the worst. My dad and my brother both have gowt.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Pain in the hand joints, wrist and elbow and difficulty in lifting a cup may occur probably be due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress.

Diagnosis can vary from bursitis and tennis elbow. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscles.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and elbow will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.