Having joint pain. Not able to walk completely. Any suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Off late, I have been struggling with serious pain in my joints, especially in the knees. Even if I move the knees little bit, like straighen those, there is a clicking noise. It used to be there in the past tooand I used to have the knee pain when I used to run or jog for several days. Then, I had to take rest for few days and restart. But, now it have aggregated, and I am not even able to walk comfortably, let alone jogging or running. I also feel severe pain and a feeling of hollowness in my knee joints. Please suggest what should I do.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 41 minutes later

It is sad that you have such severe pain at an early age. But it seems it's due to some abnormality inside that has to be diagnosed. The possibilities are many like early degeneration and loss of cartilage, tear of meniscus(a cushioning structure), ligament tear, synovitis, tendon snapping syndromes due to tight retinaculum(since you hear clicking) or loose bodies in the joint besides many more.

First you need to visit your orthopaedician for a clinical check up. If he comes to a diagnosis he will confirm it with investigations like x XXXXXXX MRI or diagnostic/ therapeutic (in the same sitting) arthroscopy. Once the condition is identified a line of treatment shall be formulated which would include medications, orthosis, physiotherapy and lifestyle modifications.

Meanwhile avoid activities that aggravate pain, like bending/squatting/sitting cross legged, even walking long distances. Keep your knee straight, elevated and supported with crepe bandage or knee brace. Use of hot fomentation is recommended. And most important do not self medicate. That would only delay the identification of true diagnosis

Hope this helps you take the decision. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.