Ask a Dentist   »  

Having jaw pain after wisdom teeth extraction. What should be done to get relief?

My son is having prolonged extreme jaw muscle pain since he had 3 wisdom teeth extracted about 2 weeks ago. He is 33 yrs old. When he returned to the oral surgeon they told him that it would have to go away on its own and gave him some pain meds. They also told him to use heat on his jaw. Nothing seems to be working to make it better. What can he do?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that due to prolonged mouth opening while a dental procedure is on, jaw muscle go into temporary spasm which causes pain on chewing. Your dentist is right when he says that hot compresses over the jaw joint will help in relieving pain. But if pain seems to persist then I will advise your son to take a soft diet, apply alternate hot and cold compresses over the jaw joint(in front of his ear).
Avoid wide mouth opening during yawning or laughing.

I will also recommend a few jaw muscle exercises, open and close your mouth slowly atleast 10 times in a minute - perform this exercise only thrice /day.

If the pain still persists, then kindly visit an experienced oral surgeon, who can provide him with session of physiotherapy or in some cases injections are needed to relief pain.

I hope this answer was useful. If you have any further queries feel free to write back,

I wish you and your son good health.

Follow-up: Having jaw pain after wisdom teeth extraction. What should be done to get relief? 20 hours later

Thank you for your response to my son's post oral surgery muscle spasm issue. He is using the hot and cold compresses. His surgery was on 2/1/13 and he is still having severe muscle spasm symptoms. How long can this persist? Additionally the symptoms do not seem to be going away. He went back to the oral surgeron who gave him some valium and said that it would go away in time. He is seeing his regular dentist tomorrow. What else can he do? How long can these symptoms persist before his jaw returns to normal?

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

I would like you to know that usually the pain disappears in 10 to 15 days, but in some cases it may take a month. It is not much of a concern though, therefore you need not worry.

I am glad to hear that your son will be visiting a dentist soon. A physical consult will give more clues as to the cause of pain which can be attended individually.

It is perfectly all right to take a pain killer as advised by a dentist. Please continue the same. Encourage him to exercise his jaw as described earlier. You may also ask for medications containing muscle relaxant when you visit his dentist tomorrow. Muscle relaxant can give additional benefits with the pain killer.

Soft diet is a must and continue with the hot and cold compresses over the jaw.

Do not worry. Your son will be fine within a week .

I hope this answer was useful. Please close this discussion if you have no more queries.