Having jabs and jolts headaches. Given DHE infusions, Indocin and MgSO4. No gain. Taking Topamax. MRI, CT, EEG's negative. What to do?

My 13yo was hospitalized for a week for jabs and jolts headaches and received "20" DHE infusions, Indocin, MgSO4.None have controlled her jabs and jolts headaches. She has a long hx of chronic daily headaches which she has taken multiple meds in past. Prior to the hospitalization she had been started on Zoloft for OCD/anxiety and was just increased to 150mg, when started the "jabs and jolts" headaches. She has about 1/hr and they last for 2 minutes consistently. She has a Neurologist and is now on 100mg Topamax/day, Naproxen 500mg+Compazine 10mg+Benadryl 25mg as an abortive combination and is to get Q8hrs(which is unsuccessful with the jabs and jolts. All diagnostic studies including MRI, CT, EEG's are Negative. I am at a loss as to what to do and it seems like the Neurologists are too. Any suggestions? She couldn't even finish the last 4wk of school due to the pain and frequency.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later

I have gone through the details about details about your daughter and feel concerned for her suffering. Her Chronic Daily Headache has probably worsened because of long use of too many drugs. Obviously these medicines are not helping her- instead they may add trouble for her.

My suggestion would be drug wash out under medical supervision of her doctor. This can be done either at home or at a hospital based on assessment by your doctor. After 10-20 days, she may start responding to simpler drugs again.

Hope for the good.

Dr Pratap