Having itchy skin on face, chest and groin with burning sensation in scrotum and legs like sunburn. Suggest?

I'm 58. Several weeks ago I started having episodes where my skin would itch (nose, face, chest, groin). Then I started having episodes where my skin felt like it was burning. Especially the scrotum and legs. The skin on my scrotum would get red and flake like it was sunburned. I use a skin cream which helps. I also have several areas where small red blotches have surfaced on my body (below lower lip, arm pit, penis, both legs just below and in front of the hip bone. Have never experienced this before.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your query; by the excellent description of symptoms that you provide, the case is most consistent with a condition called erythroderma or dermatitis exfoliativa; just as the names indicate, the main features are diffuse, red skin that can be itchy and scale off at a later time without scarring. There are many causes such as exacerbation of an underlying skin condition, medications (perhaps the ibuprofen you take) and rarely other underlying illnesses. The treatment is best guided by a dermatologist since it involves high potency topical steroid lotions.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN