Having itchy, round, dark brown patch on groin area. What this might be?

My husband is a very healthy, active (works out 6 days a week) 70 years old and has a round dark brown patch, evenly colored, no real texture, on the very top part of the inner part of his groin. There is a dry scaley, somewhat pinkish ring around the spot. The brown spot in total is a little larger than a half a dollar. It doesn't look like the ring of a tick bite that would be a red bulls eye. I've seen a tick bite and this doesn't look anything like the ring a tick leaves. Although my husband plays a lot of golf. This is just a solid brown circle. My husband says that it itches, not painful, and it's slightly raised. It doesn't appears that there are any other symptoms other than the itching and the brown spot. Any ideas what this might be? I'm not sure if it matters but we live in New Jersey.
While just taking the picture I sent you, the round patch doesn't appear to be brown now, just a rash although still roundish. When I first saw it though it was a definite brown patch

Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Ive gone through the picture and query.

Your husband most probably has tinea cruris ( a fungal infection Of groin).

It is caused by species of dermatophyte .

You should apply clotrimazole cream which is a over the counter antifungal cream.

Apply clotrimazole cream twice to thrice daily for 15 days.

This should clear the infection.

Also a fasting and postmeal sugar levels should be done to rule out diabetes.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.