Having itchy legs and feet in cold weather. How to get rid of this?

In cold weather my legs and feet itch like crazy. Or sometimes when I take off my shoes, the top of foot itches like crazy. I had to scratch for a half hour before it goes away. I would not scratch, but it is unbearable. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 38 minutes later
In cold weather itching could be due to dry skin and dry cold weather. Sometimes cold weather can also lead to severe itching due to cold induced urticaria.
To treat the same-
Keep the skin well hydrated. Use cetaphil moisturising lotion or any intensive moisturiser.
Do not use very warm or hot water for bathing as it robs off skin moisture inducing itching
Direct contact of wool too can lead to itching. So wear cotton socks underneath to prevent direct contact with wool
If still itching persists, take cetirizine or benadryl for few days.

Sometimes vague itching sensation occurs after removing shoes. There is no plausible explanation for the same. However sometimes shoes compress nerves and surrounding tissue and also decrease circulation causing a burning sensation that can lead to itching. Similarly sweaty feet or socks too can irritate the skin to cause itching.
The simple solution is to wear well fitted shoes and wash your feet immediately with soap and water after taking out the shoes.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more queries, I would be happy to assist you further. Take care.