Having itchy elbow and ankle with dry skin. Tried oiling but no help. Have red sores. Cause?

I am having itchy elbow and ankle. The skin is kind of dry. I do apply moisturiser but no help. Tried even coconut oil/ mustard oil but the itching persists. I can see some red sores (pimple like) not big though concentrated in the small area similar to mosquito bites. Please advise and let me know what could have been the reason for the same.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Petroleum jelly,multivitamins,omega fatty acids

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Dermatology, working with an experienced Dermatologist. I answer on his behalf.

Dryness and the papular lesions you have are probably due to decreased sebaceous secretion. Dryness can leave the skin cracked and result in skin lesions like red sores you have secondary to dermatitis.

Such decreased secretion is common in cold season. Do continue applying moisturizer and Petroleum jelly.

Also do take Multivitamin and omega fatty acid supplements. These two are essential for the sebaceous glands to function better.

Hope, I answered your query.