Having itchy arms. Having night hot sweats. Just started menopause. On fluoxetine for depression. Suggestions?

Hi there, I am on fluoxetine 20mg XXXXXXX for depression. I currently have very itchy arms [I think its brachiordial purititus - please excuse spelling] because no rash and its on the outside of my arms and most likely triggered by this last summer. I am also 50yrs old and just starting menopause. I wanted to consider Nortriptyline at a low dose to stop the itching and also to help me sleep as I am up at nights with hot sweats. I understand that it interacts with fluoxetine and may be XXXXXXX Is there anything that you can recommend please? I am otherwise fit and healthy and on no other meds.

Many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Brachioradial pruiritus is characterised by intense itching sensation on both arms.

It is a neurogenic itch syndrome. Exact cause is not known. But it is commonly associated with defect in cervical spine (like disc prolapse). It will be important to rule out any defect in your cervical spines. A simple x XXXXXXX and M.R.I.SCAN will help.

There is no definite treatment for brachioradial pruritus. Since it is associated with nerves, topical lignocaine will give good results. Acupuncture and physiotherapy also seems to be helpful.

Sun exposure seems to worsen the condition so avoid sun as far as possible.

Fluoxitine and nortriptyline have serious side effects and it will be better to avoid this combination.

Hydroxizine seems to have some role in brachiradial pruritus and it is also sedative, but again it has interactions with fluoxtene. You can talk to your doctor for this and start treatment under his observation.

I hope this will solve your query. In case you have any concerns, I will be happy to help you. Take care.