Having itchy and red rash on legs above ankle. Not cured by herbal medicine. Alternate cure?

I have a itchy red rash on legs above ankle and showing veins in area? Doctor has me on herbal medican saying mineral content high on 3 things, also was taking IV to help flush minerals out. The rash is not going away plus legs arbove ankle is sawlen a little
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 56 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The rash and the swelling that you have seems to be due to venous insufficiency. Venous insufficiency is a condition where the blood flowing back to the heart in the veins does not get pumped back very efficiently leading to an accumulation of blood in that area. Initially, the area looks bluish and gets swollen at night. Later, an itchy rash starts to develop. Let me know if this is sequence of events you developed. Also, for how long have you had this issue?
With these answers, we can then talk about how you can minimize these symptoms
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Having itchy and red rash on legs above ankle. Not cured by herbal medicine. Alternate cure? 55 minutes later
Have had for 2 years, doctor in Ca said to just monitor it and gave me some cream (did not help) then said I can take Zantech (allergy pills) for itching. Doctor in Al said minerials so have me on vitiamines and went thru IV for while. Still there and itching off and on.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Your symptoms are very suggestive of venous insufficiency leading to stasis dermatitis. I would suggest the following:
a. Keep your legs elevated for as long as possible
b. Tie a crepe bandage around your legs. This will help the blood flow back and minimize the swelling
c. Apply Triamcinolone 0.1% ointment on the affected area. This needs to be done only till you have the rash. This is available as Triacet ointment at the local pharmacy
d. If you can see any open wounds or any fluid coming out, do not apply the Triacet over that area. Instead, apply an antibiotic preparation like bacitracin on this site
e. Make sure you apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly after having a bath before you wear the crepe bandage.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can address any more concerns