Having itchy and dandruff. Not cured by using different oils and shampoo. Is there any effective cure?

I have had an itchy, dry type of dandruff for over a year now and have been to the gp numerous times. I have received prescriptions for different treatments such as biz oral shampoo, synagel and of late capasal while using olive oil beforehand. None of these seem to make any difference and it is only getting worse. It is very embarrassing and I can't itch or quite a lot of small white flakes fall off.
If you could help I would be very greatful,
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Dandruff is a form of skin eczema involving basically the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp.
It can be caused by :-
-Frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold,
-Known to be caused by a yeast that lives on the skin called Malassezia furfur,
-Severe stress,
Some times an added infections of scalp are also seen most likely fungal infection there by causing itching.
As a treatment you can use lotion of Selenium sulfide by the name Selsun.
Also using shampoos containing anti fungal like Ketoconazole along with zinc pyrithione(ZPTO) help to treat and reduce the dandruff. You can get these prescribed from your dermatologist.
For recurrent infections, a vigorous and continuous treatment is needed for at least three months.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.