Having itching on legs, head, and back. Have symptoms of anxiety and depression. On Zoloft. Remedy?

Hi. I believe I could have a food allergy but I have other issues that could be causing the symptoms as well. First of all, I have suffered with debilitating physical symptoms of anxiety and depression for a little over a year. Started on Zoloft two months ago and have felt pretty good for the most part. However, lately I am feeling a little worse. It's mostly stomach symptoms (cramps and nausea), acid reflux, and feeling lightheaded. That is my background information. A couple weeks ago after eating a baked potato (baked in the microwave) my tongue and roof of my mouth started tingling and this went on for about 15 minutes or so. My stomach felt a bit cramped but I just assumed it was from eating a lot of starch in one sitting. About a week later, I experienced the same thing after eating macaroni and cheese, except I didn't really have digestive symptoms, just the mouth tingling. I work at a grocery store and I have been watering the plants we sell, and about three days ago (the last day I worked) I started itching, mostly on my arms but by that evening I was itching all over. I haven't worked in three days but I am still experiencing itching, even though just my arms touched the plants I have also been having itching on my legs, head, and back. I am wondering if the itching could be related to a food allergy or if it is still symptoms from the plants.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that you have food allergies , having mood problems , started on zoloft (Sertraline) two months ago , having stomach cramps after eating any thing , now itching all over the body after watering the plant

Based on the description of your symptoms following is your plausible cause:

Zoloft contain sertraline and causes following :

1.Paresthesias , meaning the tingling sensation in your mouth after eating food

2.Zoloft is famous for cramps , bloating , nausea and acid reflux

3.It is said that if you get any Skin allergies/ problems , zoloft should be reviewed

I know that food allergies also cause the above things , but your problems aggravated after taking zoloft.

An allergic reaction to plants can cause itching all over the body , even if you have only touched them with your hands

That allergic reaction usually resides in 24-48 hrs if you take anti allergic drugs and soothing skin ointment

Your this episode of allergy is purely related to those plants not the food/zoloft and i would suggest to go to ER and get the treatment.

But the other symptoms I described are due to zoloft

I hope this explains your query

Feel free to ask any further questions if you need any clarification

Follow-up: Having itching on legs, head, and back. Have symptoms of anxiety and depression. On Zoloft. Remedy? 22 hours later
Thank you.
Today I woke up with very bad stomach cramps and have had bowel movements several times (not diarrhea, just normal). I feel like I may have eaten too much fiber a couple of days ago and need to get it all out of my system, but now I am trying to eat and am extremely nauseous. I don't think Zoloft is causing this because I've been on it for a couple months and have not had these symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Omer 3 hours later
Hello again,

As you have said that you have taken a lot of fiber in previous day and that can be a cause of your high bowel movements.

Anxiety in the age of 22 years can also cause acidity , bloating ,fast bowel movements or it can simply be a typical gastroenteritis with non-watery diarrhea.

Any antidepressant cannot finish all the mood swings like depression and anxiety , and may be your anxiety not completely controlled by zoloft.

Side effects of medicine can start any time after the start of medicine, early or late

I think you need to go to ER and get a check up , because i am telling the things to you without seeing you and they can do appropriate tests like blood complete picture , immunoglobulin level , atopy test to differentiate between allergic reactions , zoloft side effects or anxiety symptoms

I hope this explains your query.