Having itching on head. Feel like scratching. No dandruff. Use good shampoo regularly. What to do?

Gud Evening Doctor,

For the last 4 days i have itching on my head.....but it is eratic as it happens too much when I feel like scratching my head but after an hour or so get little mild or vanish...Dont know the reason. There is no dandruff on my head as I use good shampoo regularly...Pls help and suggest what to do...
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be sebroheic deramtitis or fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Do you get small pimple like lesions on scalp?
2) Off late have you changed your hair oil or switched to a new shampoo ?
3) Do you have a problem of lice ?
4) Are you loosing hair from any specific area of scalp ?
5) Is itching all over the scalp or is it at any specific point on scalp?
6) Do you get itching more when you sweat ?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

Most probably it could be seborrheic dermatitis ,which is due to over secretion of oil from the scalp or hair roots.Other possibility could be of a fungal infection.

In case of seborheic dermatitis I usually prefer for my patients a shampoo which contains 2% ketoconazole & zinc pyrithione (ZPTO) .This is available by various names like Triatop shampoo or Scalpe shampoo etc.You can even use a topical steroid lotion for few days like clobetasole propionate lotion twice a day on scalp.

If it is a fungal infection then I would prefer a anti fungal tablet like terbinafin (250mg) daily for my patients. Triatop or Scalpe shampoo can be used in this condition as well.

To control itching you can take any anti histaminic tablet like cetrizine or desloratidine once daily.

One bleak possibility could be of head lice too .Kindly get your self examined properly by a dermatologist.

You can get the above drugs prescribed from your dermatologist after his consultation.

If you can reply me with the answers to the questions , I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology