Having itching inside foreskin. Washed with dettol. Looks like small pimples. Remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
few dayz back i was having this crazy itch in my genetiles . inside part of the foreskin. i washed it wid detole . after 2 3 washes the itch susided bt after 2 days i saw some rashes has developed on my penis head. it dosent itch bt looks like small pimples red in colour. what shud i do?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply cream containing Fluticasone

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your problem you had itching over genitals and after washing with dettol rashes developed over skin of penis head.

After reading your query and analyzing the picture, the most important thing to tell you is that you have developed "contact irritant dermatitis" due to application of dettol.

Let me explain you elaborately.

The problem of "contact irritant dermatitis" due to application of dettol is because of irritant nature of of the contents of dettol. WE should never use it directly or indirectly over the penile skin. The penile skin is the most thinnest skin in the body and is such a soft and thin skin that even the blood vessels are visible sometimes from our naked eye.

Because of the irritant nature of dettol you developed an allergic phenomenon and so there was redness at the local area. I can see the area as very red but not a great extent requiring urgent medical attention. The red small pimple like thing are actually the mild vesicles due to denudation of the superficial skin.

You are lucky enough to not to get any serious harm due to dettol. I personally suggest you to not to use any product directly over penile skin as it can cause irritation and other problems.

Now for the remedy part. Do cold water compressions for 3-4 times a day. Take a small cotton puff soaked in cold water and apply for 5 minutes each over the penis head. You can apply hydrocortisone or fluticasone cream over the affected area for two times in a day for 4-5 days. Apply it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to naked eye.

If there is any burning or irritation then you can take loratadine or levocetrizine for 1-2 times a day.

If you are sexually active then should avoid contact for next couple of days. After that also you do not put more friction over the affected area to avoid further redness.

Do not worry you will be alright in next 4-5 days.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Having itching inside foreskin. Washed with dettol. Looks like small pimples. Remedy? 35 minutes later
I am sexually active but always use protection. I was really scared wether i got any STDs.
so i shudnt go for a physical check up?

Brief Answer:
No need to go for any tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello Young man,

Welcome to the forum again.

As I guided you that the whole series of events occurred because of dettol application only, so there is no need to go for any kind of physical or blood tests. This is really a wise thing to use protection because this offers 99.99% barrier to all kind sexually transmitted diseases.

Kindly follow the suggestions of previous Email. You will be alright soon even if you do not apply the cream and remain sexually inactive for next few days.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Follow-up: Having itching inside foreskin. Washed with dettol. Looks like small pimples. Remedy? 12 minutes later
hydrocortisone or fluticasone are ointments?
and loratadine or levocetrizine are tablets?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the mail below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Hydrocortisone and fluticasone are creams and not ointments. Loratadine or levocetrizine are tablets to be taken by mouth. Apply the cream in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Take a very very little amount. The tablets can be taken for one if itching is less or for two times a day if it is more. All this treatment is sufficient for maximum of 5 days period.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia