Having itching in Vulva. Applied caladril lotion and Vaseline in the lower lips of labia. Noticed white pimples. What to do?

I have been having the problem for 2 months. Usually I have never put any cream on the vulva.My vulva was itChy so as a remedy I put caladril lotion and vaseline in the lower lips of the labia.After a few days I developed a swelling there which Was painful and lasted 5-7 days.I took antibiotics for 10 days.It went down but left behind something like a 'pouch filled with air' and red in color. The next month the NP advised me to use a fungal cream and hydrocortisone and Domeboboro solution in hot towel and after a few days I noticed white pimples appearing in other parts of the labia which also swelled up.This time again the air filled pouch swelled up and all the pimples were filled with pus and were around 0.5-1 cm.This time I have been given antibiotics for 3 weeks and it has gone down again. I am worried if it again shows up this month.IT is usually before my periods.Please help!

Right now there are no marks of the pimples or the lesions....the area has become dark though
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
So you have three complaints- itchy vulva, pus filled bumps and dark pigmented marks.
Usually in females itchy vulva is due to fungal infection. It is asscoiated with redness in area covered with whitish slough and curdy vaginal discahrge(sometimes)
Sometimes prior to onset of boils or furuncles one can have itching.

Now those pus filled bumps seemed to be boils or furuncles. A boil is an infection of hair follicle caused by bacteria. Boils are quite common in this area due to hair growth, trapped moisture and sweat which provides an environment conducive to growth of bacteria or fungus. Boils are painful pus filled bumps with redness in surrounding area.

As you havent given any history of redness or whitish slough or curdy discharge in the area, so furuncles seem to be the most plausible diagnosis.
As these are inflammatory lesions so sometimes may heal with pigmentation.

Now regarding prevention and treatment
shave your pubic area or trim the pubic hair short
wear cotton underclothes and change it twice to keep the area well ventilated and dry. Avoid wearing very tight or thick clothes like denims.
During menses, change sanitary napkin frequently to maintain hygiene nad keep the area dry.
if boils are still there do warm water compresses and apply topical antibiotic cream like nadifloxacin or fusidic acid. Also continue your antibiotics till resolution is complete.
use mild non fragrant washes to wash the area. Do not use harsh soaps or dettol ,savlon to clean the area. You may also use ph balanced vaginal washes available in market to clean the area
Usually the pigmented lesions improve on own, so no treatment is required. However mild vitamin c liquorice arbutin or kojic acid based creams can be used to reduce pigmentation.

If possible attach an image of concerned area as in derma diagnosis is basically examination based. also please mention, if the itch is still persisting and what are the areas that itch.
Also be assured that we maintain privacy and confidentiality of patients. The images uploaded are only for doctor's view.

Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Having itching in Vulva. Applied caladril lotion and Vaseline in the lower lips of labia. Noticed white pimples. What to do? 43 hours later
thank you for your advice. I forgot to mention to you that the lesions were draining and some blood came out of them too.I had been to the gynae and she mentined it is Hidradenitis Supporativa. Then after 2 weeks I went to the Dermatologist but by then everything had become normal.So he believed that it couldnt have been HS but might have been folliculities.I am confused and so worried!!!Pls help
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Hidradenitis suppuritiva is inflammation of apocrine glands and so could be seen in axilla, buttocks, perineum, groins and mammary area. It presents as clustered comedones(black heads), pus filled bumps and draining abscesses & sinuses and heals with scarring. HS is a chronic lesion and leaves a tell tale sign(scarring,comedones etc)
Clinically HS and furuncles can be easily diagnosed. I would rather go by your dermatologist's opinion.
If in case lesions develop again consult a dermatologist first.
The preventive measures mentioned in my previous post would help to prevent further recurrence of HS to some extent too.
Hope that helped.