Having itching around vaginal area. Is this due to infection? What is the cure?

my wife is aged 29 years. from past 15-20 days she is having itching surrounding her vagina. sometimes it is unbearable for her. Is it any kind of infection? we are also planning for a second child. what tests required to know and cure this symptom..? what medicines she should take to cure the itching .She is not having any problem while urinating and also not having frequent urination
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX From the description of your symptoms, it seems that your wife is having yeast infection. Yeast is considered normal flora but it may overgrow in some conditions. Though there is a possibility (remote) of another type of infection. The tests that can be used to diagnose will be Pap smear, Urine microscopy. A yeast infection should not affect pregnancy or fetus. But if it is another type of infection, then pregnancy should be planned after Since yeast is usually caused due to some reduction in immunity, I will also recommend blood tests to rule out common conditions that can cause low immunity. The blood tests include hemogram, fasting blood sugar, thyroid profile, etc. Blood tests for serology of other infections should be done after the above tests are negative. For now you can try Candistat cream (contains miconazole - a topical antifungal). It should relieve itching. Some lifestyle measures also help like drinking pure water, taking fruits and vegetables 4 - 5 times a day, wearing cotton undergarments, avoiding tight undergarments, avoiding unnecessary medications especially antibiotics, etc. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee