Having itching around anus. How to treat and cure this?

Dear Sir,
I am 26 years of age boy .
I am having an intense itching in the inside of my anus since last 1 month . It usually surfaces in the evening and continues till late night . The itching is so intense that I use my fingers to scratch the inside of my anus ,though its dirty to do this . I try to put my finger still deeper but cant reach the itch area, and though this act gives temporary relief the itch comes back in a short while . I think it may be pinworms because it goes away in the mornings . How am I supposed to cure this .

Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 11 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

One of the various causes of itching around peri anal area is worm infestation.

We treat our patients with worm infestation with Albendazole 400mg tablet. We advise them to take a single tablet at night.

Nail clipping, proper hygiene and not eating out are important to prevent recurrence.

Anal itching can also be caused by improper hygiene and increased moisture in that area. Proper hygiene is important. It is important to keep the area dry and change under garments regularly.

Fungal infections around perianal area can also cause itching. In such a scenario antifungal creams prescribed by your doctor will be helpful.

Hope this helps.