Ask a Urologist   »  

Having itching and sort of pain in opening of penis. Could you suggest any cream for penis?

Question
Could u pls tell me any cream for penis ......especially for inner red part......i think new layer if skin iis cuming .........its start with itching now it's a sort of pain in opening pnnis
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

From your symptoms it looks like balanitis of the penis which is an inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can be due to infection especially fungal infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.

You should consult your primary care doctor and get a culture swab and a KOH examination of the skin of the foreskin done to rule out any infection. Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis. You can also use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin after consulting your doctor. If the symptoms are worse then you may need topical steroids like dermacort which should be used against priscription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Having itching and sort of pain in opening of penis. Could you suggest any cream for penis? 47 minutes later
Sir .....i think what u said is totally true.......that's the problem......sir.......could u pls tell me proper medicine or any ointment for this......actually nowadays i not in my home town......so i will consult Dr even 2 or 3 days......Upto that tym for relief recommend any medicine.......

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 57 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

You can use topical antifungal like clotrimazole or topical antibiotic like Bacitracin or Neosporin cream. If the symptoms persist then get oral antimicrobials prescribed from your doctor.