Having itching and drainage on open ulcer. Treated for fungal infection. Suggest

Question
I WAS PRICKED BY A HOLLY/ROSE BUSH IN AUGUST TURNED INTO AN OPEN ULCER ON THE PALM OF MY HAND THE SIZE OF A QUARTER. HAVE HAD TWO SURGERIES FOR I AND D, NO FOMAL PATHOLOGY IN 5 WEEKS BUT AM TREATED FOR FUNGAL INFECTION PRESENTLY WITH SPORANEX. WOUND STILL OPEN , HURTS, ITCHES, SOME DRAINAGE. SEE A WOUND/INFECTIOUS DISEASE DR NOW, WOULD LIKE ANOTHER OPINION
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to find infection-causing agent first Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The wound has clearly been infected, but we need to find out what kind of infection it is. During the incision and drainage (I&D), was a tissue sample collected and sent to the laboratory? It should have been done. If it was done, please request for the report and look into the infection-causing agent. With this information, we can find the type of infection and the most suitable medication that can be used to effectively and rapidly treat the infection. Without this information, treatment will be like taking a shot in the dark. We will never know whether it hit the target or not, so we will have to take repeated shots. For this reason, I cannot comment on the sporanex either. Although this is a good medication to treat fungal infections, we need to know whether or not this is a fungal infection in the first place. I hope I have succeeded in explaining things in a manner best understood by you ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further information or clarifications, i would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.