Ask a Urologist   »  

Having issues with bladder, unable to control urine and also frequently wetting bed. Treatment?

Urologist
Question
I am a male in my late 30's. Several months ago I started having issues with my bladder. Ive had a couple accidents where I haven't quite made it in time during the day however I have been frequently wetting the bed at night...enough to wear depends. Its rather embarassing to bring up to my regular MD. What would cause this? Could it be genetics? I was a bedwetter as a kid til I was about 14. I also sleep very deep
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is available.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
It is a combination of nocturnal enuresis with overactive bladder.
Life style changes needed are
1. Reduce fluid intake after 6 pm daily - to reduce urine volume at night.
2. Avoid tea, coffee, cola in the evenings.
3.Compulsory voiding at bed time.
4. Void once or twice in the night with the help of an alarm.
Medications useful are anti-cholinergics. Please get examined and evaluated.
best regards

Follow-up: Having issues with bladder, unable to control urine and also frequently wetting bed. Treatment? 15 hours later
Is it possible that my anxiety disorder is playing a factor? I am under a high amount of stress lately. Does mental health play a role with adults? I know it does in children.

Brief Answer:
There is a role for anxiety and stress.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Anxiety does play a role in day time urgency and frequency but not usually in bed wetting.
Best regards,