Having issue with kidney function. Chemotherapy done. Looking for best nephrologist

Need recommendation for a well-known, excellent, Nephrologist located in the Boston area, please..

My name is XXXXXXX and I need some advice about my mother Sue's health condition. To make a long health history shorter, 8/2011 no cancerous cells were found in the main part of the Pancreas. This concern was prompted by two attacks of Pancreatic attacks 3 and 6 months prior. After more testing a small tumor was also found in her liver. For the last 8 months she has been treated for pre-cancerous cells of the ampulla and the liver tumor with Gemzar Chemotherapy. The chemo was D/C in May because of the side effects, which today have mostly all regulated and recovered normal functioning.
Except, her kidney functioning. Her RBC counts dropped dramically, which is normal with chemo, but it was really affecting her quality of life. Unfortunatley, her Oncologist near our home, was less then caring, or helpful, when I shared my concerns with him. Finally, after weeks of no strength, her O2 levels being so low that she couldn't walk 10 feet, her doctors finally agreed she needed 2 pints of blood transfused ASAP. Also, during this time because of her dramatic changes in her fluid levels, she suffered from edema and excess fluid one day, and which required Lasix, and then her K+ levels were too low... And this finally leads to my point for you. Because of all the side effects of the chemo and the medication she has been taking, (and the her Gemzar treatment has been D/C since May and until the present) while giving her other organs time to recover.
While her labs indicate recovery and progress towards regaining her liver, and cardiac functioning, her kidney functioning is not improving at all. She is not in renal failure, and urinates normally, her PCP is now recommending finding a specialist to determine why her kidneys are not improving with their functioning, like the other systems.
I was interupted with a phone call from her doctor, telling me that once again she needs two pints of blood transfused tomorrow.
I would to know your own thoughts about what could be causing her kidney functioning to be failing. Thank you!
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 4 hours later
I find it difficult to comment with any of the lab results. However I'll try.
Your mother has been a hypertensive, she has a Tumor and has received chemo.
Now all three of these can affect the kidneys in different ways.
Renal failure can be present with a normal urine output, so with labs it's difficult to say.
It is possible that her kidneys were somewhat weak due to her high Blood pressure and the tumor and chemotherapy have subsequently affected them.The low potassium could be due to lasix.
Her urine exam and serial creatinine would help me comment further.

Warm regards