Having irritation in throat and hoarse voice after swallowing liquid melatonin in wrong pipe. Will this problem subside?
User rating for this question
i swallowed liquid melatonin down wrong pipe. It was so bad I vomited and coughed very hard. Now I have irritation in my throat when I breathe in and my voice is hoarse. Is this a problem or will it subside? Every time I take a breath I feel like coughing ...
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Steam inhalation and proton pump inhibitors Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Liquid melatonin is used for regulating the sleep pattern. Aspirating it will lead to irritation of the respiratory passages. Usually in a conscious awake patient the aspiration is minimal but very irritating as vocal cords close on contact with any foreign thing. Cough is a protective reflex which is meant for protection of lower airways. Excessive coughing and contact with the syrup can lead to edema of the laryngeal inlet mucosa and vocal cords. Pleas take steam and repeat it frequently. Also take proton pump inhibitor or some ant acid. If the problem is not subsiding, do visit ER and please do not take cough suppressants yourself. In case the symptoms do not go in sometime or worsens with respiratory difficulty, you may need steroids and some antibiotics to prevent infection of lungs. But usually a small amount of aspiration (from a sip) does not warrant much intervention and steam helps. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
People also viewed
- Is blurred vision a side effect of arimidex?
- Throat hurts when swallowing voice changed
- Recovery from fess surgery
- Hoarse voice hard to swallow
- Hoarse voice after swallowing semen
- Vicks vaporub on feet
- Throat and voice problem voice cracks choking throat
- Sinus infection and fatigue
- Is loss of appetite a side effect of ceftin?
- Is nasal congestion a side effect of ceftin?
- Surgery to enlarge sinuses
- Is nasal congestion a side effect of xalatan?
- Swallowing sperm makes voice hoarse
- Monospot test glandular fever
- Is fast heartbeat a side effect of complera?