Having irritation in throat. Feeling vomiting. What to do?

General Surgeon
So I have been getting this irritation in my throat. And it feels like I swallowed the wrong way and I can't clear my throat and every morning after I eat breakfast I choke and gag on flem. Throwing it up. I tried today not having milk or toast. And it still happened!
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Were there any radiotherapy done on your breast? When were your surgery done?

If the surgery were done few months ago, tracheal tube could cause throat inflammation or even vocal cords partial paralysis. Such situation may be present for few more months.

Esophagus narrowing can also give such symptom. It may be due to radiation (if there were any), or can be due to other esophageal disease (like an inflammation or diverticle).

If you do smoke, lungs disease (COPD - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) can be also a reason of flem presence and give such symptoms. Severe coughing should be also present.

I suggest you to visit laryngologist for throat and larynx examination. If nothing will be found, gastroscopy should be done. In case of lungs disease possibility, pulmunologist should be also visited.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having irritation in throat. Feeling vomiting. What to do? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response!,, I have not received radiation! I will have to do chemo soon. They are waiting on my incisions to heal! I don't or ever have smoked! My surgery was quite long. About 10 hours. So possibly it's what you said my throat has inflammation. I hope that's all and don't have to face lung disease too!

Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
So your surgery were quite recently. Throat inflammation due to tracheal tube (intubation) which were present there for 10 hours is the most probable reason. This is quite common. And not much can be done with it. It should go away by itself. It can take few weeks.

All you can do is to get some OTC throat inflammation medicines and rinse throat with Salvia tea.

Hope this will help.