Having irritation in eye after an accident. Should I visit to ER?

Dear Doctor,

One week ago I stood close to a window that got broken and about 30 minutes after that I started feeling sore in my eye. I've tried to check my eye in the mirror to see if there is any glass there but I can't see any. The eye is not red or anything but it hurts (feels sore) when moving my eyes or if I keep my eye closed. Only thing that feels ok is by not moving it.

Please advise what to do. Could there be a tiny piece of glass left? If yes, what would be the symptoms then?

Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
The chances of you having a glass particle in the eye is unlikely as any such particle will lead to tremendous amount of irritation and redness.
Since there is lot of circumstantial evidence there is no harm in having it checked or put in anti biotic drops in the meanwhile.
There is another likelihood that there is a inflammation in the eye which as a mere coincidence has occured at the same time.That will respond to hot foamentation.
So short of having it checked ,put in anti biotic drops and have hot foamentation twice a day.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Having irritation in eye after an accident. Should I visit to ER? 19 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

Is it possible that some particle (glass?) hit the eye and scratched it leading to the soreness? If yes, is the recommended treatment (scratched eye) then to use anti biotic drops? Anything else you could recommend?

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Again this is not feasib le,as a scratch like that will give rise to intense discomfort.
This is where we like have anti biotic and lubricant eye drops the cover up for the time it takes the body to heal itself and you become symptom free.
Any further query in this regard ,please do get back to us.