Having irregular periods and skipped periods. Trying to conceive. Will this affect pregnancy?

I have always had irregular periods and i would skip periods. Ive been to an obgyn who tested my hormones and said they were all normal. Now im trying to conceive and im worried that my irregular periods will make it impossible
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's going to be challenging, but not impossible..

Detailed Answer:

Conceiving has been challenging to many women with irregular periods; however not impossible at all. I am glad that you been tested for hormones and they are normal. If you been trying for more than a year to conceive and haven't had fruitful results, I shall put across the challenges you need to face:

1. First is to manage your weight. Your weight is directly influences period regularity. Most obese women suffer with irregular periods; so if your weight is above normal BMI recommendation; you need to start losing weight.
2. The hormone tested are analysed as per lengthy of menstrual cycle. If the test was performed randomly, I recommend repeating the test on day 3 of menstrual cycle. I look for 3 hormones - FSH, LH and prolactin levels.
3. I hope your doctor have also looked at your general and systemic health. Thyroid check is one recommended in this case. You need to make sure thyroid hormones are in normal levels too.
4. In addition to these, sequential follicular scan, hysterosalphingogram as well as your partners semen analysis are the other recommended tests.

In simple words, my comments are that:
i) It's going to be challenging; but not impossible.
ii) Start loosing weight if its not normal.
iii) Start taking folic acid supplements. 5mg folic acid supplement once a day is the recommended schedule.
iv) Time sexual intercourse close to the days of ovulation. Every day body temperature recording can give you a fair clues to the ovulation date; ovulation predictor kit can confirm that.
v) If you finding it very difficult, consult a gynecologist/infertility experts and get the aforementioned test done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need additional information.