Having irregular periods and are skipped for months. No cyst formation shown in ovary test. Advise?

Mar 2013
I am having irregular periods, the periods are getting skipped for months, I had gone for ovary test to verify any cyst formation but it was all clear. The test was positive that is I had no cyst in my ovaries. Request you advice me.
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

There could be various reasons for irregular periods. The most common ones in women are - stress, anxiety, work pressures, hectic and frequent travelling, rapid and drastic changes in weight , over exercising, etc. Hypothyroidism and raised prolactin levels could be responsible.

Polycystic ovaries are a major cause - for that, you need a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound, measurement of LH and FSH, adrenal hormones, oral glucose tolerance test, fasting insulin. Besides that, endometrial hyperplasia - that is thickening of the lining of the uterus - could be a reason.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would have recommended further tests as described above. Please consult a proper Gynaecologist, and have complete XXXXXXX checkup, the hormonal tests as suggested, and a pelvic ultrasound done transvaginally.

Take care, and please feel free to discuss further.