Having irregular periods after removal of iud. Normal?

Mar 2016

I am getting my iud removed in 2weeks but I'm a year late in doing so. Lately my periods have been irregular not any heavier just irregular is that uncommon?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Following removal of IUD, it is quite common to get irregular period for few cycles and it occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance.

Other reasons are peri-menopausal age group, stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication, thyroid disturbance, pelvic or vaginal infection etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to perform complete health check up including pelvic examination. Some relevant investigation may be needed to pin point the diagnosis.

In the mean time, following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3)Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.