Having irregular periods. What are the chances of getting pregnant with daily sex?

Sep 2012

i would like to know the chances of me getting pregnant after follicular study. i have irregular periods and doctor gave me drug for getting period. tmrw is the 12th day counting from the 2nd day of my period. tmrw dr have suggested for a scan for follicular study. i have had intercourse every day after my periods. what are the chances of me getting pregnant?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Chance of getting pregnant depends on several factors. First is obviously ovulation. If normal ovulation occurs, the chance of pregnancy is very high. Secondly, other factors like sperm count, morphology, and viability of sperm also have effects. I assume that all are normal. Then, as I told previously, chance of getting pregnant will depend on ovulation.

Normally, in a woman having regular period at 28 days interval, ovulation occurs between 10 to 18 th day. Here first day of last menstrual period is counted as day 1.

So, you are in period where you have maximum chances of pregnancy, if normal ovulation occurs. For confirmation of ovulation, follicular study is important. It will let you know whether your ovulation has already occurred or it is due. The next action will be according to the follicular study.

Best of luck.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. What are the chances of getting pregnant with daily sex? 2 days later

I had the scan day before yesterday and the doctor said that the egg is ready to be released. Gave an Hucog 5000 Injection for the egg to be released and asked us to have contact at around 11 in the night yesterday. Also to have contact continuously for 3 days starting today. We had a contact yesterday night. Second scan was done today and the doctor said that the egg is released but dont know if it has fused with sperm or not. She said that she is not seeing that released egg and asked us to wait until the next period date. If I get period asked us to consult her the very next day else wait for 2 weeks and then consult.

We are in a dilemma on whats happening? She said that she is not seeing the released egg. So does that mean it has fused with the sperm or are there any chances that it went away like that? Can u tell us clearly please.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

I can understand your concern.

Here, i want to tell you that when an ovum is released, it can be seen but after its release, it is difficult sometimes to visualize.

So, may be the ovum has been fertilized already. But, it may not be visible. But, the opposite situation may also occur.

It is very difficult to know what really has happened to the released ovum. It can only be definitely said on or after the expected date of the next period. So, wait for that day. In the mean time pray for the best.

One more thing is to continue trying for pregnancy for more 2 days. Because, an ovum has 72 hours of life span. If that is not fertilized already, the act will increase chance of getting pregnant. It is the time of highest chance.

Lastly, best of luck.

Hope you have your answers.