Having irregular periods. Started heavy black clot discharge. Feeling lump in vagina. What is causing this?

May 2013

I actually have a doc appointment in a few days so this is kind of just a question to see if I need to be worried about anything within the next few days. For the past week, maybe 2, I have been having blackish looking clot-like discharge coming out. At first, I thought it was just my cycle, because I'm irregular anyway so sometimes it comes out that way, but it never got heavier and it keeps coming... thicker but not more frequently or more as in "flow" wise. Here the past couple days... it feels like I have a lump inside, as if something needs to come out that I can't push out, on the right side ... but inside. Is this something so serious I need to have it checked before Friday, or can it wait til then? My appointment is Friday at 8:30a.m eastern standard time. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

the possible causes for your symptoms are,

-cervical polyp: it is protrusion of mucous membrane with or without associated muscular tissue it can bleed because of slight friction or during intercourse etc,
endometrial tissue sometimes can protrude through cervix presenting as polyp, which can also bleed,

-cervical fibroid: it can also bleed sometimes like polyps,

these two also create a feeling like something coming out of cervix and inability to push,

-rarely cervical dysplasia etc can also present with spotting,

-hormonal imbalance: sometimes insufficient hormonal levels can cause spotting in between periods.

as you are having only spotting and going to visit your doctor in two days, you can wait till that time,
after visiting your doctor you can undergo physical examination and hormonal evaluation to detect the exact cause and depending on that treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.