Having irregular periods. Safe to take primolut to postpone periods. Will this affect ovulation. Should I take other medication?

Infertility Specialist
Hello! I am going through FET overseas next month. My cycle has been slightly irregular over the last few months, so I have asked a gynecologist for primolut nor to postpone my period to time my cycle for when I will be overseas. The trip was organized quite a while back and we cant change the dates. My question is: Is this safe to do? While I still ovulate and be able to go through the FET? Or will this medication somehow affect the transfer? I seem to be getting different answers on this questions. The clinic said its very important that ovulation occurs, so thats my main concern that it somehow would be affected? Will i need to take other medication to ensure ovulation? I have a normal and regular ovulation, about 14 days on the cycle. Thankyou for clarifying this question!
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 32 minutes later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The Medication ( Progesterone) can be used to adjust your cycle dates to suit your convenience for travel to get FET.

2) Progesterone you are taking will help in postponing or preponing your cycle. FET will be done after your ovulation in the coming cycle after ensuring ovulation by scan ( approximately after about 14 days of your next cycle).

3) It is important that ovulation is ensured before FET. Hence your doctor will perform a scan before transfer.

4) Your doctor might give drug for ovulation if necessary.

Please get back to me if there are more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Safe to take primolut to postpone periods. Will this affect ovulation. Should I take other medication? 35 minutes later
Hello again! the clinic said that they can start the scan on day 12 and give me pessaries to take from day 12 off my cycle. I think if i postpone my cycle i will arrive overseas and have my appointment with the clinic about day 10. Can they still give ovulation drugs if needed at that time? Or is it too late then? When can they or will they probably have to give ovulation meds?Thanks for helping with these questions, i cant get in touch with my dr at the clinic.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 44 minutes later

Day10 is not late . They may wait for 2 to 4 days and then give you ovulation drugs. Hence dont worry about it. If you reach early, they will do a scan. If you are not ready they will ask you to wait for some days and repeat scan to confirm ovulation or give medicines.

Hope you are clear now.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol