Having irregular periods. Prescribed novelon. Can I have sex? Planning for baby? What should I do?

hello menses are irregular and my gyno has adviced me to take novelon. i am using my new novelon pack since 23rd of XXXXXXX 2013.. its going to end on 13th of july. then again i will start it on 20th july and end on 9th aug. i have my anniversary on 17th aug.. so can i have sex with my husband without protection? we are not planning any child now. as per the dates my ovulation will occur on 21st august. so is their any chance of mine to get pregnant? HOW LONGER ARE SPERMS ALIVE IN THE FEMALE BODY AFTER COPULATION? What should i do? please help me..
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to healthcare magic.

You have been taking the pills for 9 days, so it is safe to have sex anytime as long as you are taking your pills on schedule.

Sperms live in the female body 48-72 hours after copulation, but it is recorded that some live sperms may be found for up to 7 days.

You do not have to worry about this because as long as you are taking the pills, there is no ovulation I.e. the sperm will not find any ova to fertilize!

On the other hand, I would like to make clear that every method of contraception has a failure rate, including tubal ligation.

The failure rate of the pills you are using range from 2-8 % per year.

My advice is never worry from having sex as long as you are taking you pills. These pills are one of the most effective methods.

I hope I have answered your questions clearly, and I wish you a happy anniversary.

I will be happy to answer more queries and to discuss with you other options.

Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Prescribed novelon. Can I have sex? Planning for baby? What should I do? 42 minutes later
but as periods are getting over on 15th of august and i will again start my novelon pack on 16th aug. we have to do sex on 17th aug. i want to plan early so that i and my husband can enjoy our anniversary night without any fear of my being pregnant.its my safe period as 11th to 18th is my safe period according to the schedule and if not then SHOULD I TAKE I-PILL THE VERY NEXT DAY OF HAVING SEX? is their no ovulation till i use the pills? and earlier when we have had sex, its painful and my husband is unable to insert deeply. why so? if he tries to insert deeply forcefully, is thier any problem? we are having sex for the 3rd time as i live here with my mother in law and he lives in mumbai. this is our first anniversary

PLEASE tell me.. should i take the i pill or not? as their is a chance of ovulation na? answer my above questions too please... THANKYOU DOCTOR :-) waiting for your reply. good night and have sweet dreams :-)
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 7 hours later

I reassure you that as long as you are taking the pills on schedule, there is no ovulation, so there is no pregnancy, so it will be safe to have unprotected sex with your husband.

There is no need at all to take the I pill.

If you are afraid that you are going to have sex while you are still menstruating, you may continue taking the pills without stopping and then stop the pills when your husband travels again. The period will not start until you stop the pills.

As for the difficulty in penetration, using force or pain sensation, this is normal because these are the first times and you met only three times in a year.

Using a lubricant may help making it easier.

if the difficulty persists after using the lubricant, you should visit your doctor to examine you.
I really want you to throw away any fears of getting pregnant as long as you are taking your pills.

Waiting to answer more questions.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Prescribed novelon. Can I have sex? Planning for baby? What should I do? 11 hours later
Thankyou again Doctor. i am satisfied with your answer :-) i will contact u if necessary.. have a wonderful day. THANKS AGAIN.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 3 hours later
I am very greatfull for your politeness, looking forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.