Having irregular periods. Hormone tested normal. Pregnancy test negative. Trying to conceive. Worrisome

May 2013
hello doctor, i m 26 yrs married woman from india, i had a history of irregular periods. although my hormones tests come normal. as we are trying to have baby now from 3 months and my periods history is from march is 18th march to 23rd march,8th may to 14th may, then 14th XXXXXXX to 16th XXXXXXX very very light spotting like. met doc after that she took pregnancy test but negative. USG on 27th XXXXXXX , report were normal ,left ovary has multiple small follicles size 4 to 6 dominant one. i m out of town since then so i could not XXXXXXX doc. now two day before on 10th of july i found spotting , i thought my periods going to start but it vanished after that only some sticky hazy mucus , no cramps no pms. i am very confused i want to get pregnant soon what to do why these spottings. though my periods were irregular but i had not history of spotting.please help me
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to your description the possible causes are,

-symptoms of poly cystic ovarian disease: in this you can have symptoms like irregular periods with hypomenorrhea(scanty flow during cycles), oligomenorrhea(increased gap between periods), anovulation etc.
so your spotting may be hypomenorrhea because of PCOD.

-Postovulatory bleeding: as your cycles are irregular there is possibility that you ovulated late and that is your postovulatory bleeding called mittelschmerz syndrome.

-implantation bleeding: in case of pregnancy that could be implantation bleeding.

so now you consult your doctor and undergo blood test for pregnancy,
depending on the result if comes positive it is good,
if comes negative you better start taking treatment for PCOD with your doctor's advice which will increase your chances of fertility,

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Hormone tested normal. Pregnancy test negative. Trying to conceive. Worrisome 22 hours later
thanks doc, i met my doc today, she said to take hpt after 2 to 3 days and weight some time for my periods, wrote some test which should be done on 2nd or 3rd day of my periods.well i am too confused because i have not any symptoms of pregnancy so far.
should i take pregnancy test?
and if i am suffering from pcos is there chances to be pregnant without fertility drugs? as i read it has chances of multiple pregnancies and i am afraid of hormone therapies.
i read that pcos is genetic, and might be its true because my mother has also irregular cycle through her life and she had 7 children without any medication and my sisters have also irregular cycle and they have children without any medication.
so please suggest me how many months/years we can try to get pregnant naturally without taking hormonal we are trying without protection since May.
how can i know that i ovulate or not?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later

pregnancy could be there with out symptoms also in some women so better to take test which will rule out the possibility,
if you are having mild PCOD with ovulation occurring then there is chance for pregnancy without drugs also,
but if you are having anovulation as part of PCOD then better to take drugs to induce ovulation.

normally if after one year of unprotected intercourse couple fail to conceive then that be taken as infertility, so if you want to try naturally you can try for one year but meanwhile you practice measures to decrease the severity of PCOD like,
-decreasing excess weight for your height you should be around 55kgs, though you are not over weight slight decrease in weight also can help in reducing the symptoms,
-avoiding stress and strain,
-taking healthy nutritious diet, reducing the amount of carbohydrates and fats, increasing proteins in diet etc,
you can trace ovulation by natural methods like basal body temperature method or cervical mucus method but better is tracing with ovulation kit.
take care.