Having irregular periods. Had intercourse. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Excellent

Question
I and My partner had sexual contact on MAY 27th 2012. I usually have irregular periods so I wasnt sure whether Im pregnant or not.Got the Urine pregnancy test done in hospital today and its negative.
Was I too early to get my pregnancy done? Can we get to know within 3 weeks whether Im pregnant or not.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Any urine pregnancy test would be positive 6 weeks after unprotected intercourse. So if the tests are negative, you need not worry. You should be absolutely assured that you are pregnant. Right now, it’s not too early to get the test. We can detect pregnancy within 3 weeks of unprotected intercourse. This can be done using a serum beta hCG level.
Hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Had intercourse. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? 2 hours later
Doc...Sorry M n My partner had sex on july 27th and it was protected sex(Use of Condom)..and the last time i got periods was in May and I did my test today ie exactly after 3 weeks of sexual contact...Since been 3 weeks and my Urine pregnancy report is negative..I just want to be assured that I ve not tested it too early...
Test was taken in hospital and not through any Pregnancy kit..
Doc so Im not Pregnant rite???

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for write back.
As you had protected sex and since 3 weeks passed and test is negative so there is no chance of having pregnancy.
However, the reason behind the irregular periods needs to be investigated. If they ( the hospital people) did a serum beta hCG and it was negative, then you are not pregnant.
I hope I answered your query.
If you do not have any further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Thanks.

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Had intercourse. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? 11 hours later
Thank You Doc!!! This Serum beta hCG test is it a part of Urine Pregnancy Test??? o is there a separate test for this...

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

This is blood test and it is not the part of urine test for pregnancy.

Here estimation of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin level in the blood is tested.

This test is more sensitive than urine pregnancy test and it is done at a laboratory.

Hope this helps.