Having irregular period with scanty bleeding from last few months. What could be the cause?

Mar 2013
I am XXXXXX. I am having the problem of irregular periods from some months. The menstrual cycle is not regular and last month it started on 1st April and stopped on 15th April and the bleeding was very less and scanty. This problem of less bleeding is occuring from past 3 to 4 months and the date of periods is also skipped.
Actually i am a working person with sitting job in front of computer in my office fom 8 am to 5 pm. Thus, i think the fast pace in my life might be a reason for this. Please let me know the reason and the solution to my problem of scanty and irregular periods asap.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 56 minutes later
Irregular cycles could be due to the following reasons :

1. Anxiety, stress, emotional upheavals due to personal or professional tensions, hectic travelling, rapid and recent fluctuations in weight. Hence you are right. Work stress and a fast paced lifestyle is one of the major reasons for irregular cycles.

2. Hormonal fluctuations - dysfunction of thyroid hormones, adrenal hormones, high prolactin levels etc.

3. Pathological conditions like polycystic ovaries, diminished ovarian reserve, endometrial diseases etc.

4. Ingestion of medications that affect the menstrual cycle.

The reason can only be confirmed after you visit a gynecologist and have a detailed check up.
Following would be required :

1. Complete physical and XXXXXXX check up and examination.
2. Blood investigations - FSH, LH, TSH, AMH, prolactin, SHBG, DHEAS, Free testosterone, fasting serum insulin, lipid profile, glucose tolerance test, complete blood count, blood grouping, liver and renal function test
3. Pelvic transvaginal ultrasound - and if required monitoring throughout the cycle to confirm ovulation.

If these investigations are normal, you are mostly having stress related irregular cycles.

The following pointers will help you :

1. Reduce work stress. Try and lighten workload. Indulge in early morning yoga or relaxation techniques.
2. Exercise 4 times a week. Maintain an ideal BMI.
3. Eat well and maintain your nutrition by taking fresh foods like green leafy vegetables, protein , egg, soups, salads, fresh fruits etc.
4. Take regular folic acid supplements.
5. Do not worry too much. Sometimes, worrying will worsen the situation.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
All the best