Having irregular period problem. How to get rid of this?

I would like to know about women periods. My girl fiance suffers problem of irregular periods. Sometimes period takes two months to come and sometimes it comes twice in a month. Is there any serious problem? How do she get rid off this problem?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
The irregular periods that your girl friend is having is likely to be due to a hormonal disturbance. A detailed evaluation is needed to find out the exact imbalance.
This is a common problem and is not worrisome.
Proper treatment is available to regularize the cycles. She can conceive normally after the treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Having irregular period problem. How to get rid of this? 5 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. Could you please elaborate what kind of treatments available? She has already consulted doctor and took some medicines but it did not work. Doctor said after marriage she will be fine but I dont believe it. I think it can create problems while conceving and this problem keeps her weak.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Most commonly for the irregular periods, oral contraceptive pills or hormonal pills- progesterone or estrogen containing pills are given to regularize the periods. Usually the periods become regular after 3-4 cycles and after that she can plan for her family.
Weakness can be related to irregular periods if these are associated with heavy bleeding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.