Having irregular menstrual cycle and skips two months. How to improve this?

Mar 2016

I am having irregular menstural cycle, and some times skip for two months at a stretch. This problem started from past four to five months. It was alright before that. Please advice.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 48 minutes later
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, if you are sexually active, then you need to rule out pregnancy by simple home pregnancy test or blood test for beta-hCG (for accurate result).

In this context, other reasons of irregular delayed period are PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) or ovarian cyst, hormonal imbalance, hypothyroidism state, over weight/ rapid loss, irregular diet habit or anorexia, anemia, uterine pathology or pelvic infection, high prolactin level etc.

Here, you need to undergo some basic investigations under the guidance of your gynecologist to identify the possible causes. You would need a complete health check up along with pelvic ultrasound scan, thyroid profile, LH/ FSH ratio, blood sugar (PPBS) & prolactin level, Hb% etc to pin point the diagnosis.

Complete treatment depends on underlying etiology. You may require hormonal medication along with other supportive treatment to regularize your period. Please consult with your gynecologist for proper prescription after complete evaluation.

In the mean time, you must do the following things:

1) Take healthy diet with low carbohydrate & more vegetables. Avoid all junk/ fast/ spicy food stuffs.

2) Keep your bowel habit regular and maintain personal hygiene properly.

3) Do regular physical exercise to control body weight and it has key role to regularize period.

4) Try to avoid stress by yoga or meditation or deep breathing exercise (15-20 minutes) regularly.

5) Iron supplements may be needed. Drink plenty of water/ fluid and always take sound sleep.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications or have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Having irregular menstrual cycle and skips two months. How to improve this? 54 minutes later
I am still unmarried and not sexually active, I miss my periods in intervals at times and ussually take a hormonal table to regularize them. Last time I had them were on 13th May Currenty I skipped it for two months. Do I need to stop taking that medicine and do I still need to do the pregnency test?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later

Thanks for giving me additional information.

If you are not sexually active, then you don't need to undergo pregnancy test.

Irregular taking of hormonal medication can cause the same thing in association with other reasons as I have described earlier.

Here, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist for complete evaluation with above mentioned tests and take prescribed medication only. Till then, you would maintain a healthy life style with above said measures.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Having irregular menstrual cycle and skips two months. How to improve this? 3 hours later
Hello Dr Soumen,

Thank you so much for providing me guidance with this and sorry to bother you again but I just had one additional question two weeks back I got a sever stomach ache and when I visted the doctor they said me its because of acidity and the pain should go in 2-3 days, but since then I get that pain everytime after my meals. Do you think this is somewhere related to my Periods problem. Thank you once again for providing me with your suggestion for the lifestyle and I will follow them untill I visit the gynecologist.

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

In my point of view, premenstrual cramp may cause stomach pain but not exactly after taking meal (every time). It may be associated with indigestion problem, gastritis, peptic ulcer (gastric type), constipation, pelvic pathology etc. It is better to consult once with gastroenterologist for complete evaluation & medication.

You do not stay in empty stomach for long time. You need to take 6-8 small meals instead of 3 large meals and avoid taking painkiller medication which may aggravate the condition. Do the rest things as described earlier for healthy lifestyle.

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen