Having irregular heartbeat. Is this dangerous?

General Surgeon
hi, i occasionally get skipped beats sometimes i dont get them for weeks maybey, and sometimes 6 7 times a day, i have had ekg and seen a cardiologist, he says im fine and i do loads of exercise, i find if i really push myself in exercise i feel it skip a bit or o a extra beat but then sometimes i dont feel it, it comes and goes to be honest, do you think i have anything to worry about, because i love exercising but im thinking should i be doing it
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such extra beats are the most common arrhythmias and usually are not life threatening. It is more common in females. This is usually caused by some ectopic source of the rhythm in the heart muscle. If no dizziness, headaches, blurred vision or chest pains present, it should not bother you. However, if you feel with it uncomfortable, you should ask your doctor for diagnostics. There are severals methods of threating it.
First of all you should have Holters 24 hours ECG as usually such rhythm changes are invisible in regular ECG. Depending of the type of an arrhythmia proper treatment can be ordered.
You can also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation and see if it brings any relief (very often it does).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having irregular heartbeat. Is this dangerous? 7 minutes later
hi thank you for your reply, no i dont get headaches or anything like that, i also have a question i use to take testosterone booster tablets about 2 to 3 years ago as i was big into my body building and thats when i noticed this heart thing come on and i stopped taking them and ever since that i have noticed it occasionaly do you think that could have anything to do with it also??? and these magnisium tablets do they need to be pescribed, and how come they help???
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later

Testosterone has huge impact for heart muscle. It causes fast muscle growing without proper vessels grow. This causes heart muscle weak and ischemic. Testosterone makes your heart muscle prone to heart attack. So this can be the reason of your symptoms.
Magnesium is necessary for proper heart rhythm and nervous system work and when there is magnesium deficiency such symptoms like arrhythmia nervousness can appear.
I suggest you also to have heart ultrasound performed to see in what condition is your muscle after the testosterone.

Follow-up: Having irregular heartbeat. Is this dangerous? 1 hour later
hi thank you for your reply i kind of thought it could of been to do with the testosterone boosters because never had a problem untill i took them, i had a scan on the heart and my cardiologist told me that it looked good and healthy, i just wish i could put my finger on something that could stop it because its a big worry for me. and i kno it is common in people and they say its nothing to worry about, and i realy dont get it a lot but i am a big big worrying person
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

So if you have seen cardiologist and everything seems fine, you should not be worried. It seems that you are kind of lucky not causing any harm to your heart with testosterone. You should treat it like a new chance and do not risk again with such things like hormones.
Try magnesium supplementation, it really helps.