Having irregular heart beat. Test showed blood sugar level 113. Should I be worried about diabetes?

Aug 2012

I had a blood test done after not eating for 12 hours. My bloodsugar level was 113. i am also being tested for
possible hyperthyrodism. Do I need to worry about having diabetes? I have had for over 10 years problems with irregular heart beats. Testing has been done several times with no results. I did have a stent
placed during a heart exam done through the groin.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 55 minutes later
Hi there.

Your fasting blood glucose (which you did after 12 hour fast) is in the range of 'impaired fasting glucose' or IFG. To confirm whether one has diabetes or not, he/she should undergo oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). This test will confirm if post glucose challenge your sugar is in the range of diabetes (more than 200mg/dl) or it is only 'impaired glucose tolerance' (between 140 to 199 mg/dl).
If your post glucose test is more than 140 but less than 200, then you will have confirmed 'impaired glucose tolerance or IGT which used to be callled 'pre-diabetes' in old days.
With age of 55, and history of hypertension (high BP) and also possible hyperthyroidism you have possibility to develop XXXXXXX diabetes in near future. Then what you should do?
First confirm by doing OGTT and one more test called HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) where you stand- if it is showing diabetes itself (post glucose >200 mg/dl and HbA1c > 6.5 %) then you will need to take medications. The type of medications depends on many conditions like your weight, height, your blood pressure, your ability to exercise and diet sincerely etc.
If you do not have XXXXXXX diabetes and just IGT, then with many sincere efforts you can postpone having XXXXXXX diabetes for many many years.
So please let me know the reports along with your thyroid test reports, I can certainly guide you further on what steps to be taken ahead.
Wish you good luck. Take care.