Having inverted nipples. Is it safe to use nipple shields while feeding a child?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question

My wife delivered our first child on 12th July. She has inverted nipples, so it was very hard for her to feed the baby. She also has bigger cup size which makes the situation even worse. After trying a lot for two days without success, we started using nipple shield. We knew that we should try feeding the baby without the shield also else the baby won't take the breast directly.

Now, since last 4 days, my wife is struggling to feed the baby without the shield. Even after trying for 2 hours, the baby doesn't feel satisfied and keeps on crying.

So, I would like to know if we can use the nipple shield or not. I heard that there are some problems associated with nipple shields. But I need an expert opinion.

Please advise.

Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX

Thanks for the query

some women will have these types of problems making feeding difficult,
your wife can use nipple puller which will draw out the inverted nipple, sometimes it can be done manually, if that is difficult nipple puller is better option, after pulling the nipple out may be the baby can drink the milk easily,

or if the baby is comfortable with nipple shield, your wife can use that, as the baby will expect the milk to come freely and quickly, if that becomes late or difficult she will cry and that will make her mother tense.

so you explain your wife that these are common problems faced by many women, so no need to become tensed and depressed because of these, she can use nipple shield till the baby becomes accustomed to breast milk.
but what you have to remember is, strict highgene of the nipple shield has to be maintained, that has to be boiled twice a day, should be cleaned every time before and after feeding, nipple and areola to be washed before each feed.
if she develops any cracks like things on areola she can use jelly like lanolin etc in between feeds which will heal and moisturize the area.
once the baby becomes accustomed and breast milk production increases she can give milk without nipple shield also.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.