Having intrusive thoughts about death? Will Zyprexa work?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been on 50 mg of luvox for 11 days and now 100 mgs of luvox for 5 days. I am also taking 10 mgs of Zyprexa daily. I have intrusive thoughts of my death over and over again. I then go into full blown panic attacks when I think of my death. Why do I get stuck on this thought? I can't enjoy life when all I think of is my death. Will this medicine work? Am I taking the right dosage? Please help. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Eating Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment appear to in right direction and doses. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Intrusive thoughts, panic attacks, being stuck in thoughts and severe distress indicate presence of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) along with depression. Luvox contain fluoxamine. It is one of the drug of choice for OCD. It is also very effective in anxiety, panic and depression. Its usual effective dose range is between 100 and 200 mg. Medicine usually take 3-4 weeks show its effect. Currently your dose is 100 mg in last 5 days. In my opinion you will get significant relief in 3 weeks. Zyprexa contain Olanzapine. It is an antipsychotic medicine. Few physician use it to control anxiety symptoms in short duration and to augment effect of Luvox. So in my opinion your treatment appear to in right direction. Adding to above treatment you can request your physician/psychiatrist to prescribe some on demand antianxiety medicine like Clonazepam 0.5mg which you can take at onset of panic symptom for 3-4 weeks. After that Luvox will control theses symptoms. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal

Follow-up: Having intrusive thoughts about death? Will Zyprexa work? 12 hours later
Is there a reason why I keep thinking of death? Is it the depression part of OCD, or is it the intrusive thoughts of death causing the depression? I can't stop the thoughts from coming on. Will the luvox help? Should I be at a higher dose? Thank you. XXXXXXX C.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 45 hours later
Brief Answer: No need for change doses currently. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. Que. Is there a reason why I keep thinking of death? Is it the depression part of OCD, or is it the intrusive thoughts of death causing the depression? Ans: Thoughts of death can come in both condition (OCD and depression). If thoughts are intrusive in nature, associated with anxiety and considered absurd in nature by patient then these thoughts are due to obsessions in OCD. If mood is very low and person feel there is no hope. Person thinks for ending his life, then these thoughts more likely due to depression. But good thing in your current treatment, that it is effective for both condition (OCD and depression). Que. Will the luvox help? Should I be at a higher dose? Ans: Yes. It will help. As Luvox takes 3-4 weeks time to show effect, there is no need to change doses at-least for 2 weeks from now. After that decision will depend on treatment response. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal