Having intestinal issues and ruling out carcinoid. Done with blood tests. What are the findings?

thank you very much for your help. i don't drink nor smoke (a glass of wine maybe once a month). in the past all of my bloodwork has always been normal except once my tsh was slightly elevated but never again, and dr. said not significant.

this time, however, i got several abnormal levels appearing. in the meantime, i'm being evaluated for intestinal issues and ruling out carcinoid (my chromagranin a came back normal, awaiting urine 5-HIAA test results, endocrinologist said very very doubtful but ruling it out b/c of years of abdominal low aching and some stool changes alternating with constipation and some - mostly emotional- facial flushing).

would you please in detail tell me what might explain the following changes in my bloodwork.?

i'm writing my count and then in ( ) the lab's normal range:
slightly elevated red blood counts: red blood cells 5.03 (3.9-4.9)
hemoglobin 15.5 (12.0-14.7)
hemocrit 44.9 (34.5-43.1)
(the dr. said these due to not drinking enough water?)

but these?
cholesterol 220 (normal lower than 200)
AST 38 (lower than 35)
ALT 37 (lower than 35)
Albumin 4.98 ( 4.20-4.76)

thank you so very much.

Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Regarding the bloodwork which you have done recently the elevation of hemoglobin as well as your red blood cell count is most likely related to a mild degree of dehydration. I agree with your doctor that if you drink more water these levels will come back to normal range. Right now they are only slightly elevated. This is not something to be concerned about. Repeating the test in a few months would be reasonable.

Your cholesterol is only mildly elevated. A change in diet as well as increasing the frequency and duration of exercise will help to improve that number.

Regarding your liver enzymes these are only very mildly elevated. This is not something to be concerned with. I think a repeat of the test in a few months would be fine.

Right now it does not appear that you have any active cancer or blood disorder.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to discuss.

Dr. Galamaga