Having interstitial cystitis. Can I take B and O suppositories for severe pain?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have intersestial cystitis. I take valium for moderate pain. pain went from moderate to severe and id like to take a B&O suppository but do not know if i can?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,You can, but consult your doctor and discuss.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

B&O (Belladona & Opium) suppositories are definitely indicated in treating moderate to severe pain due to spasms of the urinary tract.
B & O suppositories is an anticholinergic and analgesic combination. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle of the urinary tract and relieving pain.

But B&O suppositories should NOT BE TAKEN, if
- you are allergic to any ingredient in B & O Supprettes suppositories
- you are in premature labor
- you have severe bowel motility problems (eg, paralytic ileus), severe diarrhea associated with antibiotic use (pseudomembranous colitis), glaucoma, severe liver or kidney disease, bronchial asthma or severe breathing problems, or a seizure disorder
- you have alcohol-withdrawal symptoms or you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)

Consult your treating doctor and take his opinion regarding usage of B&O suppositories.

Hope I have addressed your query.