Having intermittent groin pain radiating to knee, chronic constipation and diarrhea with pain and vomiting. X-ray normal. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I am a 77 year old female basically in excellent health, and physically very active. For the last two or three weeks I have been having intermittent groin pain on both sides, sometimes radiating down to the knee, and almost chronic constipation and diarrhea with very intense pain and vomiting from the intensity. I had xrays about two weeks ago and no blockage showed up.
Help, please! Thanks
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible colon cancer.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Constipation and diarrhea alternately, abdominal pain, vomiting are serious symptoms which can indicate colon cancer. Please note that this cancer is strongly associated with an age and the risk of it rises over the age of 50. That is why, every person over this age should have colonoscopy every 10 years (without any symptoms presence) and colonoscopy with every gastrointestinal symptom.
Even if an X-ray has not revealed obstruction, this does not rule the cancer out. So instead of leaving you alone, doctors should make a colonoscopy as a next step.

Groin pain is most likely caused by long lasting diarrhea.

I suggest you to do not wait anymore and have colonoscopy done and urine analysis as soon as possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having intermittent groin pain radiating to knee, chronic constipation and diarrhea with pain and vomiting. X-ray normal. Suggest? 2 hours later
thank you for your prompt response. I will, as you suggested, follow up with my
doctor. One other thing I failed to mention was that when the groin pain first started about 3 or 4 weeks ago I suspected it might be an orthopedic problem as at first I was having a lot of knee pain. Xrays of the hip revealed no arthritis or other ortho problem however there was a lot of inflammation of unknown origin. Does this in anyway alter your answer or possibly support your diagnosis in any way? Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedic problem is hardly possible.

Detailed Answer:
It does not sound like an orthopedic problem. More possible is nerve compression. However an inflammation in this area indicates other then nerve problem. Sometimes enlarged lymph nodes can give an inflammation in this area. Lymph nodes can get enlarge due to many issues including cancer. So it does not change advisable diagnostics. Please get colonoscopy done as soon as possible.