Having intermittent flutter sensation under breast after eating. Have Angina Syndrome with dropped heartbeat sensation. Underlying cause?

Excellent
Question
Hi I am suffering with intermittent flutter sensation under left breast especially after eating... I have Angina SyndromeX and always worry its my heart. What can cause this flutter with no pain? I also have dropped heartbeat sensation for 15-30 mins at a time.

Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the inquiry. With your cardiovascular background, it is important to rule out that it is not an intermittent arrhythmia causing those symptoms; depending on the frequency of the event, then you choose the surveillance modality for this: with daily symptoms a Holter monitor would serve the purpose, for weekly symptoms an event monitor and for very distant symptoms if indicated in some patients an implantable recorder can be considered; if it is not an arrhythmia, the most common cause would be "skipped beats" or premature contractions of the heart which would show up in the monitor as well. Other times, symptoms arise from a muscle source (twitching or spasm of the muscle) such as the breathing intercostal muscles.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Having intermittent flutter sensation under breast after eating. Have Angina Syndrome with dropped heartbeat sensation. Underlying cause? 22 minutes later
Thankyou for your reply ... I have had an angiogram and 24hr heart monitoring in the past done by my own Cardiologist which led to discovery of Angina SyndromeX ... I have intermittent spells of heart palpitations from anxiousness which lead to panic attacks ( My GP suggested CBT which has helped me greatly )
I am just puzzled still about the fluttering symptoms happening straight after eating for the past week. I am anxious before I eat now which doesn't help me. Can there be a link with stomach nerves/heart since I have had stomach upset/diorea for 3 days? As long as I don't panic my disturbing symptoms subside. Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

The answer is yes, there is an increasing body of evidence to sugest the important influences of the autonomic nervous system (the one that regulates automatic activities of the body like breathing, blood pressure, bowel transit etc) and the heart, particularly in terms of heart rate and blood pressure regulation; some people do get more PVC's or PAC's (irregular isolated beats) more frequently with anxiety or related to eating. Thos are usually benign and do not require intervention. If the symptoms are so frequent, as I said a Holter monitor can rule out bad things, and provide you and your doctor reassurance.

Best regards,

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Having intermittent flutter sensation under breast after eating. Have Angina Syndrome with dropped heartbeat sensation. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Thankyou for your reply
Your knowledge is comforting and I am glad to say my symptoms have ceased over the last two hours. If they do become troublesome for a much longer period I will call on my GP and talk about the holter monitor as you kindly suggest.
Many thanks again and take care yourself. XXXXX ☀

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 57 minutes later
My pleasure XXXXXXX God speed

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD