Having interest in eating slate pencils. Having chest congestion and dry cough. How to get rid of it?

Hello sir, i am 30 yrs old, female, have two kids. From past one month i had the interest of eating slate pencils.I had one slate pencil daily. then i started having chalk piece.Since i thought these would be bad for my health i tried to stop it by eating raw rice without boiling.At present i have stopped eating slate pencil and chalk but i am into the habit of eating rice without boiling. Is it bad for my health.I have chest congestion and dry cough. Can it be because of my eating all these..pls explain
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 57 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

You case is interesting and but difficult too. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

Eating lead pencil, chalk and then uncooked rice arouse following possibilities: nutrient deficiency (like calcium and iron), worm in abdomen and anxiety.

Chronic lead use can lead to lead toxicity, which can itself cause anxiety and depression apart from damage to other organs of body. It is great that you self stopped its use and switched to non harmful material like uncooked rice.

Get complete blood count done which can rule out low hemoglobin (occur frequently in nutrient deficiency).

Chest congestion and dry cough can occur due to following reasons (in order of preference):
-Infection of throat
-Esophageal spasm due to uncooked rice.

Following steps will help you:
-Meet general physician for evaluation and testing of above mentioned causes.
-Involve your family members in treatment implementation in form of supervision by them. Inform them about your plan to stop rice use too.
-Write amount of rice use on calender daily, so that others can also see it. It will also provide you feedback for progress.
-Follow these advices strictly

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.