Ask a Dentist   »  

Having intense pain in ear and throat after removing lower wisdom teeth. Is this normal?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I am having intense ear pain that runs down to my throat after having two lower wisdom teeth removed (one on each side). The extraction was done 2 days ago. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The pain could be due to the inflammation around the wound site with referred pain into the ear and throat. As throat and the ear share common innervations, any inflammation produced after tooth extraction can radiate into the ear and throat.

Do not worry! This is one of the common problems faced following dental extraction.

I would suggest you to take a potent anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for the pain relief and an antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid) to take care of any infection in the post extraction period.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon